Tonda Eckert's Southampton future in tatters and faces FA ban after Saints expelled from Championship play-off final

0
Southampton manager Tonda Eckert faces the sack and an FA ban in the wake of 'Spygate', talkSPORT understands.

Saints were thrown out of the Championship play-off final by an independent commission after admitting breaking EFL rules by spying on multiple opponents from December to this month's semi-final with Middlesbrough.

The full report into the scandal is expected to confirm Eckert admitted responsibility for secretly watching opposition teams in training, something that is common practise in his native Germany.

Sources close to Saints owner Dragan Solak say the Serbian will be 'furious' with Eckert for bringing the club's name into disrepute and costing them a shot at the £200m Wembley showdown for a place in the Premier League.

As well as potentially losing his job Eckert and sporting director Johannes Spors, who also learned his trade in Germany, are likely to come under investigation from the FA and risk potential suspensions.

There is also a fear among the Southampton hierarchy that sponsors will pull out of deals for not wanting to be associated with a club who have admitted cheating.

Players including captain Taylor Harwood-Bellis are also said to be raging at having their shot at a place in the Premier League and the lucrative salaries and status that come with it snatched away.

Saints have appealed and chief executive Phil Parsons emailed club staff on Tuesday night to say they were fighting the sanctions, which also included a four-point deduction for the start of next season, 'robustly.'

In the memo, seen by talkSPORT, Parsons said Saints' legal team 'remain confident' their appeal will be successful and that the club were continuing to prepare for Saturday's showpiece final.

talkSPORT also understands the players are considering legal action amid a loss of earnings.

Spygate: The latest

Southampton were informed they had been replaced in the play-off final by Middlesbrough after being found guilty of the EFL breaches.

Intern Will Salt was pictured conducting an unauthorised of filming Saints' semi-final opponents in training at their Rockliffe Park ground within 72 hours of their first leg clash.

EFL regulations state clubs are prohibited from 'observing, or attempting to observe' another team's training session within 72 hours of a scheduled fixture between the two teams.

Southampton have also been found guilty of spying on Ipswich Town and Oxford United earlier in the season and some reports suggest Eckert could be banned for up to 18 months.

The south coast club sealed their place in the final with a 2-1 aggregate win over Boro, however, Kim Hellberg's men are due to face Hull City at Saturday's showpiece at Wembley. A kick-off time is yet to be disclosed, however.

Southampton fight back

The aforementioned memo sent to Southampton FC employees by Parsons read: "The EFL has this evening told us of its decision to remove us from Saturday’s play-off final.

"Clearly, this is an outcome we strongly disagree with and one that we will challenge robustly.

"An appeal hearing has already been scheduled for tomorrow and our legal team remains confident in the strength of our position.

Until that process concludes, our focus remains on continuing preparations for Saturday as planned."

Middlesbrough statement

Unsurprisingly, the verdict was welcomed by Middlesbrough as they said in a statement: "Middlesbrough Football Club welcomes the outcome of today’s Disciplinary Commission hearing.

"We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.

"As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday.

"Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly."

Click here to read article

Related Articles